Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Hoof Prints

Wherever man has left his footprint in the long ascent from barbarism to civilization we will find the hoofprint of the horse beside it. ~John Moore

I named my blog before I read this quote. Before I knew it existed. And yet, it's so true. Not just in the long road of history, but the smaller paths, as well. Here on my path, there are many hoof prints. Some of them are more prominent than others, some have crossed my path for only a few minutes, some have followed me for years. There are tiny hoof prints in the dirt of my path, new born foals and miniature horses. There are massive dinner-plate hoof prints as well, Belgians and Clydesdales and Friesians and Percherons. And there are normal sized hoof prints, too. That mix-breed I learned to ride on, the Arab mare that gave me my first solo ride, with no one leading me, June, Siaga... So many.

I can only wonder where my path will go, but I know there will always be hoof prints on my path. Sometimes, they may drift away, but sooner or later, the hoof prints will return. A path walked alone is a lonely path, but I do not intend to walk mine alone. For now, Siaga walks my path, and for now, some of the other horses at Triple S walk my path, too. My path is not the only path they walk, and each walk a path of their own. I can only hope that Siaga's path will stay with mine forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment