Monday, May 17, 2010

Ok, Fine.

So it is in sadness at the loss of a dream that I come here now to tell you- I no longer believe that my beloved Siaga is a Morab. It was wishful thinking on my part, after hunting and chasing any stray threads that might connect to the six months of his life before me that might tell me his breed and blood, and after having seen photos of Morabs who look a lot like him.

When I got him, all I was ever told was that he was the breed that "did all that cattle cutting." Which meant, of course, that I was excited to find that Morabs excel in cattle cutting. I've been reluctant to believe that he would be of the common quarter horse line, since I've never been fond of them, and the biggest reason I -didn't- believe he was a quarter horse was all the side view images of quarter horses who were bred for the halter class. With all that heavy muscling and those practically vertical pasterns and stupidly dull expressions, they couldn't be of the same breed as my fine boned, highly alert, prancing bay, could they?

Until I found an image of a quarter horse that was a -working- horse, who wasn't all bulked up, at a perfect side shot. I compared the conformation and nearly fell out of my seat. They have the same flat-with-just-a-touch-of-dished-profile-like-God-wiped-a-feather-over-the-bridge-of-the-nose face. The same set of head, the same low withers and high croup, only Siagas front legs seem longer, or perhaps it is that Siaga's shoulders don't drop as low in comparison to his hind quarters.

It is said that quarter horses aren't used much for endurance, but it doesn't matter since I do not plan on hitting really top of the line rides.

After all, when I was in the tenth grade, my little gelding got very ill and at one point, collapsed, the vet gave him an IV of an energy booster, and I stayed up with him all night outside, under flapping tarps in November during a raging thunderstorm. I later wrote in a paper I did for my english class that year, that "I realized I don't a horse who is a champion at any sport. All that matters is that he is champion of life."

And he is, and always will be, my champion.

Even if he is a Quarter Horse and not a lovely Morab.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry he looks QH to me too... He does have the cutest little head though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe, yeah. His face is cute until its nibbling on an arm.

    ReplyDelete