Saturday, April 28, 2012

But I'm too young for this!

Look at me, I'm 21. I eat well. Drink nothing but water (I have a soda about once every 2 or 3 weeks, and juice maybe once a week) and eat my fruits and (most of) my veggies. I'm only slightly over weight. I'm healthy.

So why in Heaven's name do I have gray hair?! I'm too young for this, seriously. And it's not just one, or two, or three, or even four. They are all over! It isn't really noticeable to the point that you could see them if you weren't even looking for them, but still. There they are.

After googling it, (because who doesn't google stuff like this?) I learned that early graying is sometimes a part of having Alopecia Areata, which I have. AA is an auto immune disease in which the immune system attacks hair follicles (usually on the scalp or beard area) and creates patchy bald spots. If it progresses to the entire head, it is called A. Totalis. If it covers the whole body (wouldn't it be nice to not have to shave arm pits or legs?) it is then called A. Universalis. I haven't had an outbreak since high school and have no bald spots that I currently know of, which is good, because I really don't feel like going back through the treatments again. (We chose the treatment of a cortico-steroid shot in the scalp. Or rather, several of them. Imagine, several injections in the scalp, at one time, and then every two to four weeks for almost two years. You can see why I am not eager to go back through that. I actually have nerve damage on the back of my head from this.)

Anyways. I'm all, you know, if I'm gonna go gray, it's all or nothing. Right now it's not bad, but I'm thinking, maybe, when it starts to get noticeable, I might just go and make my hair completely pale silver. lol. That could still be awesome looking! And very striking, no?

I know Siaga has a few white hairs here and there in his mane and tail, but they always grow in the same place, so if I pull them they grow back just as white in the same spot. These are slowly getting more progressive, showing up more and more. *sigh* I really am just too young for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment