Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Big things

So I helped my instructor with the little girls lesson again yesterday before my own. And then we decided that I would start coming out on Fridays to have my lessons and also work to work off the cost of the lessons.

In yesterdays lesson, I had my first ever not lunge line lesson. We worked on changing direction without really using my hands, which is a hard, hard, hard habit to break when primarily, this is how Siaga is directed and pretty much every other horse I've ever ridden. And then we worked on trotting too, and let me say, it is a WHOLE OTHER BALL GAME when suddenly, you don't have to worry about just balance, you also suddenly have to worry about direction and keeping the horse going at the same speed and tempo. Rose is one of those lazy horses and she speeds up, slows down, speeds up, slows down, A LOT.

Second big thing? Today, Siaga and I are going to have our first real trail ride in Houston Woods. His firsts today will include meeting the Paso's (probably just Spirit and maybe also Dulche) and riding in the trailer with them, going to the park, riding on a trail with a bunch of other horses, and riding a longer distance than he has before.

I Google mapped the distance around the block here, it's 2.5 miles. This is the longest ride he's been on, this measly 2 and a half miles. So this should be interesting.

I'm sure he'll have plenty of other firsts, but these are the ones I'm certain he will experience.

Oh... what a day I will be having.

On the plus side, I think that if he decides its ok to follow the paso's, then he'll do just fine, you know, that herd mentality.

No comments:

Post a Comment