When I put the saddle on the boy today, it actually went right where it was supposed to and sat flush but not tight. So we went about getting ready to ride...
Until I discovered, much to my dismay, that the girth from the other english saddle is about 43" buckle to buckle and I need something more like 26 or 28" and this one hung several inches below his belly.
So that idea was nixed, so we instead fitted the new bridle and worked from the ground on left, right, woah, back up. He still needs the verbal addition with the woah and back up, but his response after the verbal command is timely and quick and soft.
After we did that for 15 or 20 minutes, we went to the front yard and started working on side passing from the ground. After about a half hour or so of that, I had him taking a step or two across. :)